Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Getting there...

Well I solved ONE problem... (thanks Gwhiz2k!) but I have a slightly bigger problem on my hands. I have a Trojan Horse. Well I think I do. I had one, then I did the things you're supposed to do to fix it, but I'm not too sure that it went away. A while ago, my mum's computer had one, (which she blamed on ME since I had just linked her printer to my computer), but I fixed hers no problem. But when I "fixed" mine, it didn't do the same things that it did when I fixed my mums...I don't know. I'm confused.

Anyways, I'm hoping my computer doesn't suddenly crash on me in the middle of an important paper. It can't crash until Friday the 16th... after that, I won't mind as much. I guess my lesson is back everything up in the next 2 weeks.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Blogosaurus Rex said...

Ugh.. Trojans are nasty.. Make sure you DON'T do anything that involves a password while you still have the trojan. As far as getting rid of it, there are online scanners you can use to scan for (and hopefully get rid of) trojans and viruses.

I always use the one at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ I find it works quite well. Also, maybe think about installing and using Zonealarm (the free version) to keep out intrusions.

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en

There's a lot you can do without buying expensive (and tempermental) virus scanner software.

A couple of other pearls of wisdom (not like I'm smart or anything, just a veteran geek) Don't open any email attachments unless you're absolutely sure someone you know sent it (ask them to sign emails in a distinctive manner), use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer (you can't get a virus with Firefox as easily) and never download anything unless it's from a reputable source.

I've gotten away with many years virus-free, and never actually owning anti-virus software. Once in a while I use the free scanner, and besides that, Zonealarm.

Once again, I hope this helps.

Blogosaurus Rex said...

By the way, the long URL that I posted looks like it's cut off, but you should be able to copy the whole thing. It scrolls to the right believe it or not.

Heather said...

I think I'm good to go! YAY no more viruses! (or viri? is that the plural of virus?)

Blogosaurus Rex said...

Tough one.. kind like, "What is the plural of Elvis?" I think it's "Elvi"...